
So for the last 6 plus months I have been feeling crappy. My stomach, my head, my back, heartburn and indigestions, dizziness, major anxiety. It started during wedding planning last May. I thought okay I have a lot going on in my life -- we had bought a house months before so we had a mortgage, my jobs is stressful, Grahm had started working out of town so I was home alone a lot, the news and our wars plus the economy is a constant sources of worry, and then I was planning our wedding (more $$) and expectations. So I blamed my busy life for the pains I was experiencing.
Seven months later and I still didn't feel great. I had seen MDs who told me to get on anti anxiety and heart burn meds but I am totally against prescriptions that band aid problems. I see my acupuncturist regularly and take amino acids, vitamins, and herbs which help, especially the acupuncture but its expensive and I need it weekly to feel a constant difference.
I have started to exercise more often but am still working on it. We eat pretty good. Our life style is low in toxic chemicals (household cleaners, high VOC materials such as new furniture, paints, new carpet, perfumes, scented candles, etc.) which can sometime result in sickness both physical and mental.
So in the new year I really wanted to heal. I started off thinking Grahm and I will start primarily eating whole foods (fresh veggies, home raise eggs and beef, whole milk dairy products, fish, homemade bread, beans). The idea was to eat more traditionally like before everything was processed and pumped with sugar and hormones. I then decided I would cut out sugar since I was starting to become dependent on it. Then on Tuesday my mom sent me an article on gluten and how its can be extremely hard on the human body. The title of the article was Gluten: What You Don't Know Might Kill You. A bit extreme but I really did take to heart the overall message.
Here are a few snips from the article:
A review paper in The New England Journal of Medicine listed 55 "diseases" that can be caused by eating gluten. These include osteoporosis, irritable bowel disease, inflammatory bowel disease, anemia, cancer, fatigue, canker sores, and rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and almost all other autoimmune diseases. Gluten is also linked to many psychiatric and neurological diseases, including anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, dementia, migraines, epilepsy, and neuropathy (nerve damage). It has also been linked to autism.
Another study comparing the blood of 10,000 people from 50 years ago to 10,000 people today found that the incidences of full-blown celiac disease increased by 400 percent (elevated TTG antibodies) during that time period. If we saw a 400 percent increase in heart disease or cancer, this would be headline news.
So right there and then, it was early in the morning, I started a gluten free diet. I decided I would go three week without gluten and then reintroduce it and see how I felt. I have now been gluten free for 5 days and actually feel good. I feel healthier (since I am eating crazy healthy), lighter, my stomach DOESN'T hurt -- no heart burn or indigestion, my level of anxiety feels a bit lower. This is amazing. Well I am not getting to excited, I am going to give it time. See how I feel over the next few weeks. And maybe a gluten free diet will be my remedy.
If you want to learn more about a gluten free diet click here.
2 comments:
my sister is no longer eating gluten or dairy... because of some issues that she was experiencing... she now feels great. Also, when she was living with us for three weeks we ate like her, and it really was pretty easy once you get into the swing of things.
Hope you continue to feel better!!!
I use the recipes on elanaspantry.com for our gluten free goodies. Almond flour makes delicious baked goods which are high protein and don't leave you with that heavy feeling that regular flour does.
Post a Comment